Christian Association (University of
Span Dates: 1857-2000
Volume: 60 linear feet
This large collection is organized into series. Information about the gay and lesbian ministry can be found in the Program and Other organizations series.
The Christian Association (CA) was founded as the University of Pennsylvania branch of the Young Men's Christian Association in 1892. It incorporated under the current name in 1901. Its interest in social service flowered into social activism in the 1960s. As part of this flowering, in 1970, the CA developed a campus ministry to gay students; this ministry was formalized by 1974. In 1978, it sponsored the Philadelphia Gay Cultural Festival, formed Gay and Lesbian Peer Counseling, supported homosexual student groups at the University, and created the Philadelphia Lesbian Gay Task Force (PLGTF). The CA terminated its relationship with PLGTF in 1983, but continued its support of the gay ministry. A summary of the organization's history is available on their website.
The online finding aid is available at the following web address.
The University of Pennsylvania Archives is located at Franklin Field/North Arcade, in Philadelphia, PA. Additional information can be obtained by contacting the staff through the website.
Ecumenical | Christian Association (University of Pennsylvania) | Pennsylvania